Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What the Hail?


Yesterday was a muggy day that consisted of overall humid grossness punctuated by intermittent drizzling spells. It was evening, and Jay had just returned from his ultimate frisbee game when we heard a dull roar--the kind that can either be thunder or a big garbage can rolling down a hill. It lasted for over 15 seconds, so I discarded the thunder theory. But a few minutes later, the wind picked up. I started to get hopeful: we haven't had a good storm here in awhile. Apparently San Antonio is in a bad drought, or so the media says (but my dad always grumbles that if newspapers aren't whining about critically low water supplies they're screaming about floods, so take that for what it's worth). A few minutes later, I thought I heard rain, and then it was more than rain pounding against our walls. I ran outside and saw pebble-sized hailstones bouncing on the grass: the biggest I'd ever seen. I grabbed one and ran inside to show it to Jay; it looked like a clear half-marble in my hand. We ran outside together as the storm intensified and the hail came down bigger and harder than before, like the sky was hurling large marbles and small rocks as hard as it could. I was so excited. I started yelling at Jay to grab the camera as I tried to gather some of the stones without incurring a concussion.

When the barrage stopped about two minutes later, the rain picked up. Laughing like a maniac, I ran out and twirled around on our sidewalk, getting soaked after a few seconds. Did I mention I love storms? Anyway, feeling a bit foolish, I came back inside, shivering, and picked up my textbook, ignoring Jay's raised eyebrows.



Later that evening I decided I had to take some pictures of our beautiful tulips before they die completely. I love flowers, especially tulips and lilies, and we bought a huge vase with bulbs at the bottom at Costco for seven bucks. The cool part is that we got to watch them bud and bloom, and we've had gorgeous tulips on our table for the past couple weeks.

8 comments:

  1. You should never ignore your husband. Bad wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay should have come out and danced in the rain with you. That is some BIG HAIL. I hope your car windshield is okay and that no dents happened. Wow. Thats pretty crazy. Your flowers are very beautiful - what a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome...I definitely would have danced in the rain with you. I did it all the time with my roommates in college but haven't really had a chance to recently since I lived in Las Vegas where it doesn't rain. Ever! Maybe in Wyoming I will get a chance. We had a huge windstorm over here last night...it was really loud and crazy. Josh and Nathan went out and rode bikes in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How homey! I love those flowers and you two in the background : ) Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember those storms in Texas. Those were the best storms ever!! Unless you were driving in them, then not so good. I would have reacted the same way as you, cause I love storms as well. Luv ya, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is your mother speaking.... What on earth were you doing outside with ice boulders falling from the sky?? What were you thinking??!! At the very least you should have been wearing a helmet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um...okay, I'm technically challenged. How in the world am I coming up as Sara?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey as one desert rat to another I can feel for the excitement of a big storm. Now I know what a shooter marble is too. Must be nice to actually have weather rather than sun and off sun. Even when it rains here it feels more like someone sneezed on you, interchangable feeling.

    ReplyDelete