Saturday, April 11, 2009

Biking on the Mission Trail

Jay and I have been meaning to go back to the non-Alamo San Antonio missions for well over a year now.  There is an 8-mile trail that connects all of them, and we’ve been wanting to bike at least part of it.  A couple weeks ago, we finally did it.  We were joined by Dan Robertson, a good friend of mine for over ten years now.  He’s doing doctoral work in Houston and came to SA to present at a conference, so we got to spend the afternoon with him. 

We only went about 3 miles round-trip, but my quads were sure killing me by the end of it—I am woefully out of shape. 

I think Dan's verbal caption of this shot of a cross surrounded by a 4 foot tall, 20 feet in diameter cactus patch was "Don't mess with Jesus."


It was fun to revisit the missions.  Jay proposed to me at the Espada Aqueduct (below) just over a year ago.  I am coincidentally wearing the same shirt.  If you look at this picture closely, you’ll notice my right pant leg is rolled up a la hardcore biker.  You may also notice the ruffles and embroidered flowers on Jay’s shirt, a la awesome Mexican (he scored it on our honeymoon in Puerto Vallarta).  

 

The very spot the proposal occurred.  I’m so glad I said yes—what a great man he is.  


After riding bikes and exploring a couple of the missions, we headed back to our apartment and cooked up some delicious homemade pizza.  Mmmmm.  Dan trounced us at Carcassonne, and we finished off the evening with Bluebell ice cream.  

A good time was had by all.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous day. How fun that you got to visit with Dan! The bike trail sounds like an adventure. Steve and I decided to give biking a try this afternoon... yeah. After several years of not biking, we both quickly realized how horribly out of shape we are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun to visit the place where he proposed to you. I'm glad that you were able to spend some time with Dan. Isn't it sad when you do something fun, that's when you realize how out of shape you are? Oye! I know that feeling! luv ya!

    ReplyDelete