Saturday, April 25, 2009

California Spring Break, Day One


Well, it's been nearly a month since our spring break trip to California, and I still haven't posted anything about it.  The lame thing about Jay and I going to different schools is that we have different schedules, and spring break was no exception.  The lucky thing is that I get Fridays off and have random days off all the time (chalk it up to Catholic holidays, I guess), so I had Thursday and Friday off during Jay's spring break.  We really had an itch to go on vacation, and not just a little jaunt to Austin--we wanted to get out of Texas.  Not that Texas isn't the greatest state in the Union or anything (y'all can just put those lynchin' materials down now, y'hear?); we just wanted a change in scenery.  

After much deliberation and calculation of costs, we decided to go to visit my Aunt and Uncle in the Bay Area.  I went to elementary school in San Francisco and San Jose, and since my mom's family all lived there, our family would drive back to visit every summer after we moved to Utah.  Jay and I had a marvelous time--Aunt and Uncle were superb hosts.  

Here are some pictures from our first day in town.  First off, we went on a walk to some beautiful gardens a couple blocks away from the house.  We were accompanied by The Twins, Aunt and Uncle's absolutely adorable almost 2 year olds.  (We have some beautiful pictures of them, but to protect them from potential internet creepers, I won't post any here.  I'm planning on uploading a couple to my [private] profile on Facebook so that I can brag on them.)


I know it's weird, but I think snails are cute.  I haven't seen many of them in Utah or Texas, so maybe they make me feel nostalgic for my childhood in California when I used to find them in the yard and poke them with things.  There's just something endearing about those inquisitive little retractable antennae and that pretty little shell.  Slugs, in case you were wondering, are gross.  
Later that afternoon, we drove with Aunt to Half Moon Bay where she treated us to a divine lunch at the Ritz-Carlton (pictured below).  After this brief taste of opulence, I warned Jay that I am expecting such luxuries in the future.  He warned me to be prepared for a life of disappointment.

Do not be deceived by this picture.  Aunt may look overdressed, but she's actually the smart one: the wind was so cold that my face and arms were completely numb long before we made it back to the car.

The Bay was really beautiful, exquisitely fringed by dramatic cliffs.

3 comments:

  1. Gah! That is so unfair! I so wish I could have been there. I loved the pictures of the tulips, were they taken in that flower garden? (the one where Aunt and Uncle's wedding pictures were taken?) I wish I could go visit the twins! Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to settle with a visit from you guys on my birthday... :-D (I'm just kidding, I promise!) I love you, even though my jealous nature sometimes makes me seem like I don't:-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous! That looks like such a fun trip!! And I, too, love snails!! When I was little, we also had them around and it was so fun to poke at them and let them crawl (okay...not the right word...slither? squirm? glide?) on us! Lucky for you - visiting the area you once lived is a nice vacation. Going to WVC would be anything BUT nice! :o) I'm glad you had a good time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I have a confession... I think snails are nast-ola, and if you'd like to meet some here in Texas, you can come visit the snail commune breeding right outside our front door.

    The summer we moved here it rained so often that the snails would venture out of their little nest every day. Try as I might, I couldn't walk out the door without crunching a snail or two underfoot. And they would leave trails of ooze all over our cement and doormat (not to mention the bottom of my shoe). Sometimes I found them inside. That, especially, was not okay.So we finally pulled out the salt. I think I unloaded half a container of kosher, and that finally did the trick. I hope you don't hate me now that you know I'm a snail killer...

    PS - your trip looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete