Wednesday, June 17, 2009

More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Jay (aka Happy Birthday, Baby!)

Jay on his birthday at my parents' house in St. George with that divine fresh strawberry pie.
Jay's birthday was just over a month ago, and since I was on blogging hiatus I didn't post anything about it. So, as a tribute to the flash-in-the-pan "25 things" fad, I give you "28 things about Jay," one for each year of his life.
  1. He's weird about shampoo/shower gel bottles: they have to be clean (no dried up shampoo around the top)
  2. He really likes spiders and hates killing them when we find them in the house (I am such a mean wife for making him)
  3. He hates olives with a passion you wouldn't believe and once wrote a long, made-up story about why they should be detested and sent it to his entire extended family
  4. He's a good cook and likes to try out new recipes
  5. He has an interesting idiolect--there are some words he pronounces differently (escape = ex-cape, and he insists on saying "silent letters" like the L in "stalk")
  6. He's always more dressed up than I am, usually in khakis and a button-down shirt (I'm always in jeans and a t-shirt)
  7. He doesn't own a heavy jacket because he just doesn't get cold
  8. He thinks computer programming is FUN
  9. He speaks pretty good Spanish, but he has a strong gringo accent
  10. Maybe it's a crossover from his Spanish, but he prefaces a lot of nouns with "the" that don't normally require articles (i.e. he used to say it when referencing our apt. complex: "Let's go back to the Roman Gardens," which is basically like saying "let's go to theWalmart")
  11. When he's writing, he rarely if ever uses contractions: it's always "I am," "I will," "you are," "it is" etc. It makes him sound formal and somewhat detached and charming.
  12. Once he was teaching a lesson in church and instead of saying "don't be deceived," he said "don't be conceived"
  13. He really has a thing for curly hair (which is lucky for me)
  14. At a slender 6'5", he's really hard to buy clothes for (well, hard for a guy, anyway)
  15. He's a pretty mellow, laid-back guy until he starts playing board/card games (there have been several instances where we've had to ban Monopoly for the sake of our marriage)
  16. He's not so good at basketball, but he's really good at ultimate frisbee (talk about a random sport)
  17. He's a little kid at heart and has a super goofy sense of humor... Sometimes a little too goofy (like when he cracks up at the word "poop")
  18. He has huge feet (size 13)
  19. Jay writes poems. They tend to be a cross between the works of Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein. One of us may be an author yet...
  20. He's really good with his hands when it comes to carving and filling and waxing teeth. A weird talent, but quite useful considering the circumstances.
  21. He's very service-oriented; much more so than I am. He's constantly signing up to help people move, clean the church, etc. At one point I got kinda frustrated because I never saw him on Saturday mornings, but I love his willingness to help others
  22. He LOVES fresh fruit--a good chunk of our grocery bill goes toward pineapple and fresh berries every week
  23. He loves ice cream more than just about anyone I know, specifically Blue Bell (which can only be found in and around Texas). He's been known to go through an entire half-gallon of super-premium ice cream in a day or two
  24. He can't stand to wear jewelry of any kind, including a watch. He's mostly used to his wedding ring now, but with how much he fiddles with it it's a miracle he hasn't lost it yet
  25. He's one of the most patient, genuine people I know (I say genuine because he can't lie (in word or deed) to save his life)
  26. He has the biggest tongue I've ever seen, and he can pretty much pick his nose with it. Disgusting, but true.
  27. He can make his stomach growl (loudly) on command
  28. He can wiggle both of his ears

Happy Birthday, Jay! Love you.

7 comments:

  1. In case you didn't notice, Lindsay is a speech pathologist... I love you baby! (and I can't lie.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Jay. I feel like I know you now, great list, Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats so cool all the things you wrote. Tony cant stand wearing jewelry either , well at least a ring. I told him I would write to the prophet and see if I could get him permission to get a ring tattooed on his finger. LOL. He plays with rings too and loses them. Sigh. Fun list though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We must be related...I can't stand jewelry either which makes Tyler happy (doesn't have to buy me chocolates or jewelry! what a lucky guy!)

    Also the large tongue must run in our family (me, you, loren, olivia) I wonder who has the largest!???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Jonathan and I have some great memories with Jay - in fact he was there on OUR first date with us, and we actually played frisbee golf!

    I seem to also remember him throwing a ginormous can of olives into the Roman Gardens pool....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay - I know this comment is posted WAY late - but happy late birthday!!

    I just wanted to say that Blue Bell ice cream is AMAZING!!! That's the brand of ice cream that Outback Steakhouse uses - SO YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete