Friday, October 9, 2009

Only Qualification for Winning a Nobel Peace Prize: Have Good Intentions


Did you hear? President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize.

The conservative media is up in arms (as demonstrated by this amusing opinion piece). Even the liberal media, who didn't even mention Obama on its list of likely winners, is surprised. And I'm irked.

I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised or even all that upset; after all, the Nobel Peace Prize became a joke to me when Jimmy Carter won it in 2002 and again when Al Gore won it in 2007 for his propagation of scientifically baseless global warming hysteria. Jimmy Carter, who practically aided and abetted the Soviets by rolling over and playing dead in the name of "tolerance." Jimmy Carter, arguably one of the worst presidents in U.S. history, and certainly one of the biggest idiots of all time. Jimmy Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize. And Ronald Reagan did not. But that's another rant for another time.

So why am I irked? Not because I dislike President Obama or because I disagree with 90 percent of his platforms and policies or because I think he's sneaky. Just because I honestly don't think he's done anything to merit the award. This doesn't mean that the President may yet do something in his presidency or in his life to deserve it, because--who knows?--he may. But at this point, and most of the world agrees with me, all he's really done is given some stirring speeches and pitched some big ideas (nearly all of which, thank God, he has not been successful in strong-arming through congress. Yet.).

Despite President Obama's countless campaign promises, speeches, and congressional petitions,
  • We are still involved in wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, with the end still years away
  • Guantanamo Bay is still open
  • There has been little significant reduction in global nuclear stockpiles since he took office
  • He launched deadly counter-terror strikes in Pakistan and Somalia
  • No laws reducing carbon emissions have been passed
  • Nationalized health care is still a pipe dream at this point
  • Relations with Muslim nations remain strained at best
I, for one, see most of those things as positives, but leftists, like those on the Peace Prize awarding committee, do not. Which is what makes the whole situation more perplexing: Obama was chosen, not based on what he has done, but based on what he might do. Which is yet another farcical interpretation of what the award stands for.

7 comments:

  1. couldn't agree more!!
    you said it perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree! Very well written. You should be a journalist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. I was bothered by Al Gore winning a couple of years ago, but at least he invented the internet. What has President Obama done?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so the last comment was kind of a joke. My only real complaint about President Obama's Nobel Peace Prize is that they didn't give any credit to his pet flying unicorn. I mean, seriously people, President Obama is a great speaker and all, but where would he be if he couldn't fly his hopeful self around on a magical beast? Probably still in Neverland. I think they should have given half of the prize to the unicorn. It's only fair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I know! Heck, I got 4 hours of sleep last night, and not all at once. The biggest block of sleep i got was about 2.5 hours. I should get a Nobel prize for that! Taking care of my very own infant is more awesome than not keeping one's campaign promises.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I can’t believe how bitter you are over this? As a fellow American I would have thought you would be proud of this great accomplishment as it can only be a good thing for America. Sadly and predictably you and the rest of the right wing will oppose anything Obama does or wins. Remember it’s not as if Obama asked to win… would you have him give the prize back? Would you give the prize back?

    It is starting to become more and more clear that you and other “right-wingers” just want Obama to fail rather than see America succeed. Just like the loss of the Chicago Olympics was a defeat for America not Obama, Obama winning the Nobel Prize is a victory for America. So keep on booing that only makes you look out of touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nah, I'm just your typical "right-wing" nutjob: I want to see Obama fail AND America succeed.

    I like your brand of sarcasm, Erik, but I sometimes wonder how Amy can live with you. When are you coming to visit again? We've got our patio all ready for you.

    ReplyDelete