Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Happy New Year


{Yes, I realize this is belated--just be impressed I'm getting this up while it's still January. See, I have this problem with remembering to take pictures of things. And then I have a problem with remembering to upload said pictures onto my computer. And photo-blogging about events is my least favorite kind of blogging, probably because it feels like a documentary, and who wants to see a documentary of my life? Not me. Posterity: I do this for you.}

We spent Christmas in Louisiana with Jay's family this year. It was a good time. I'd post pictures, but (surprise) I don't have them on my computer--they're on Jay's. So maybe I'll get around to it in June. Anyway, the day after Christmas we flew to St. George to visit my fam. It was a bit of an ordeal to get there: we had to drive to San Antonio from Louisiana (7 hours), come home and repack, go to the airport and wait a couple hours for our delayed flight, fly to Vegas (3 hours), and then drive to St. George (2 hours). We pulled in after one in the morning (2:00 Texas time). We were beat. But it was worth it:



My sister, Sara, was waiting up for us. She'd just gotten home from her mission to Scotland a week or so before, so this was the first time we'd seen each other in over 18 months. My gosh, I love this girl. I sure missed her.

We woke up bright and early the next morning to get ready for 9:00 church, where Sara would be giving her homecoming talk. She and my other sister, Lisa, and I were going to sing, as well.

(Can I just take a quick topic detour and tell you what a miracle that was? I'd been sick for 2 weeks, and though I was feeling a lot better, my voice was still on the fritz. Add to that the aridly dry Utah air, and I was in trouble: I couldn't sing a phrase without coughing. And since I'd arrived so late the night before, we were only able to practice for 20 minutes before the meeting started. Luckily, we had an amazing accompanist. And incredibly, though I'd coughed my way through both of the preceding hymns, it wasn't an issue during our performance. And miraculously, I think the whole thing turned out well--there was a sweet spirit present. This probably doesn't seem like a big deal to anyone else, but it was to me. It was an experience that re-taught me that God is mindful of me.)

Sara's talk was fantastically inspirational. She's amazing. What a treat!

(This picture pretty much sums up what I do when I go home, besides hang out with fam: eat and read all my little sister's new books. Thanks so much, Jay, for chronicling this.)

A couple days later, we took off for the family cabin--one of my favorite places. We watched movies, ate pounds of junk food, read, read some more, played games, and even bundled up once or twice to brave the frigid temperatures. Our last day there, the sun came out (it had been blizzarding the day before), and we did a few kamikaze sled runs down the hilly road. My sledding experience has been limited, so this was a real treat.

I don't have a lot of pictures from this trip because we just got a new camera and were (are) still in the process of learning how to use it, so most of the pictures didn't turn out. But here are a few:

My beautiful mother in the cabin kitchen.

Filling the basement with gunpowder from various poppers and confetti guns. We were actually all so exhausted that we nearly didn't make it until midnight, so the New Year celebration was a little anticlimactic.


Old Year detritus.


Me, Jay, the sibs, and Sadie (unfortunately, the pictures with Mom and Dad aren't on our camera).

We're goofy, but we have a lot of fun together--I love my fam.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE YOUR WHOLE FAMILY!!!!!!!

    Ahhh! These pictures make me so happy.

    You are beautiful, the cabin looks like fun, and I want to visit!

    ReplyDelete