Thursday, March 18, 2010

Random Holidays


I've always wanted to be one of those people who could turn anything into a celebration. You know, like have parties for random holidays, commemorate historical events, or make foods or enact traditions from other cultures on international holidays. Stuff like that. As it stands, my kids will be lucky to even get Halloween costumes or Easter candy because I'm just not organized that way.

While I was on my mission, my mom and my sister were on a "no-sugar" diet. I don't remember now if it was just for Lent or if it was longer (I think it was longer), but they left themselves a loophole: treats were allowed on holidays. Unfortunately for their diet, "holidays" were not defined. Wasn't long before they "celebrated" every holiday. On every calendar. ("Hey! It's Rosh HaShanah! Let's go get ice cream!") I particularly remember them celebrating Benito Juarez's birthday (apparently he was a Mexican president). They looked him up on Wikipedia, sang happy birthday ("happy biiiiirthday, Benito Juarez"), and dug into a pint of Ben and Jerry's.

While Mom's and Sara's interest in obscure and/or international holidays may not have been purely inspired by a desire to learn more about other cultures or historical events, I think it's a neat idea. For example, I learned a lot (and had a great time) here. And what a fun way to teach kids: give a little lesson about how 350 years ago, Isaac Newton defined gravity, and then go drop apples off the balcony.

Anyway, I've been trying to get better about being randomly festive. I started by commemorating "Pi Day." (Get it? March 14 = 3/14 = 3.14 = the first three numbers of pi, and "pi" is a homonym of "pie"... Okay, so it's a bit of a stretch.) It's a "holiday" commemorated mostly by math nerds, and since my mom is queen of the math nerds, I'm afraid none of her children escaped quite unscathed (case in point--here's Mom's facebook status: "It's 3/14--Happy Pi Day everyone! We are going to eat some pie this evening to celebrate and, as we do we will contemplate, just briefly, the ratio of the circumference to the diameter. Mostly, though, we will just eat it."). Nerdy or not, I'm up for any excuse to eat pie. (I discovered after the fact that 3/14 is also Albert Einstein's birthday. We'll have to figure out a way to work that in next year... Maybe he had a favorite kind of pie? And 3/14 is actually my half-birthday. Can't think of a better way to celebrate!)

So I made an apple pie. We shared it with our friends, the Packards. We ate it with ice cream while we played games.

Smile! It's pi day! (Unfortunately, it was also Daylight Savings day, so I was exhausted. Stupid time change really messes with my system.) And, yes, I have received a haircut since this picture was taken. Your concern is duly noted. Thank you.

Ashley rocks. You can almost see the Packards' delicious homemade bread under the towel on the counter. Mmmm...


So glad you liked it, Kevin.


We love Pi(e) day!

Yesterday, of course, was St. Patrick's day. Jay wore his green scrubs, I donned a bright green shirt, and I even attempted a semi-Irish supper (chicken pot pie sounds Irish, right? ...Kinda?). I made soda bread for the first time, and it was delish.

Happy (late) Pi day and St. Patrick's day! If you have any random holidays or fun traditions, feel free to share.

5 comments:

  1. remember when...we borrowed that ANCIENT mixer from someone in our complex in Cedar Mill and you made a pie? Good times. Love your pix ..looks like fun! Funny about your mom and sister celebrating every holiday they could find just to eat treats. Sounds like something I'd do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pie! Send me a piece! hehehe, love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric and I like to celebrate Australia day January 26th. It's kind of like their Independence day. I've made lamb and mint sauce, we drink ginger beer, and have trifle and tim tam slams. It's great, and it's something to look forward to on those long cold January days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not the only who celebrates it! One of my friends has his birthday on pie day and he makes sure everyone knows it. :) And this year a bunch of people in my math class brought in pie for pi day. We've become a bit desperate for ways to get parties in school.

    ReplyDelete