Saturday, September 11, 2010

Lest We Forget



Spencer W. Kimball once said that the most important word in the dictionary may well be "remember."  


To me, remembrance is more than just knowing something happened--it is retaining the memory of our feelings and the lessons we learned.  I think back to my frame of mind nine years ago, and I recall being filled with horror at the ugliness of terrorism, gratitude for living in this amazing country, and fierce pride to be an American.  


But memories fade.  Recollections grow dim.  Feelings, once strong, slowly lose their poignancy.  


Today, though, I remember 9/11.  I remember that day, and the following days of uncertainty and fear and prayer.  And I remember my resolution to never, ever forget.  



God of our fathers, known of old-- 
   Lord of our far-flung battle line 
Beneath whose awful hand we hold 
   Dominion over palm and pine-- 
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet, 
Lest we forget - lest we forget!

The tumult and the shouting dies; 
   The captains and the kings depart: 
Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice, 
   An humble and a contrite heart. 
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet, 
Lest we forget - lest we forget!

Far-called, our navies melt away;
   On dune and headland sinks the fire:
Lo, all our pomp of yesterday
   Is one with Nineveh and Tyre!
Judge of the Nations, spare us yet,
Lest we forget - lest we forget!

                 - Rudyard Kipling


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I have family in San Antonio. My BIL is a stake president, Verdejo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I'm not living in the fear of that moment.
    But remembering how I felt and how we shoudl prepare, and love those around us. Thta's a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete