I really did write this on 10/10/10--I just didn't post it. Things have been a bit hectic on my end. How about yours?
1. Fasting + teaching nursery = death
I'll admit it: I wasn't excited about being asked to "teach" nursery at church (the 18 month - 3 year olds). The first month or so was rough. It's not that the kids are bad--I'm just bad with kids. Anyway. The past couple months, though, things have gotten better. I think I've hit my nursery "groove"--Jay and I and the kids are pretty comfortable with each other now. For the most part, I enjoy my two hours a week of watching 7-10 little people run around.
2. Except on Fast Sunday. Me: starving, exhausted, cranky. Kids: HYPER. I swear, when I had to pass out goldfish crackers at snack time, I almost keeled over. I held them under my nose and inhaled their cheesy scent. More than once. Jay and I basically gave the tykes free reign and did everything we could to sit limply on our butts the whole two hours.
3. I lay down yesterday and read a book all morning while Jay cleaned the house. I felt guilty, but loved it at the same time. I love my husband. And reading. But I love my husband more.
4. I've been working on irregular past tense verbs with one of my clients at work, and I had a breakthrough of my own--I finally got the lie/lay lay/laid forms down. I think.
5. Grammar freak that I am, I'm quite excited about this accomplishment.
6. I'm also excited because my 5 year old client has them down, too.
7. Which means that the two of us now belong to the 1% of English-speakers who know (or care) about the difference between lie and lay.
8. I'm still in denial that it's October. I am dreading the end of daylight savings time--I hate when it starts getting dark at 5:30.
9. Jay is sitting next to me, eating a bowl of Kix. There's no milk in the bowl, but he's still using a spoon. Odd.
10. Jay and I got a new phone plan two weeks ago--we switched to T-Mobile because I was getting booted off my family's plan and T-Mobile was cheapest. We both got nice touch-screen phones for free. But then I started freaking out that I would have to ration talking time with my family (turns out I use lots of cell phone minutes), so we went back to Costco on the last possible day and canceled our plan. We signed up with Verizon, so now I can yak to my fam whenever and for however long I want. And I am at peace.