Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Seasonal Affective Disorder

I am so done with summer.  I am craving fall with every pore of my sweat-soaked body.  It has been miserably, unbearably hot for months upon months upon months with no rain and no reprieve.  


Yesterday, my friend and I walked into Hobby Lobby.  Big mistake.  I almost cried when I saw the rows of craft tables piled high with ornamental gourds, wreaths of fall leaves, and pumpkins of varying sizes and motifs.  Not to mention the towering display of fake Christmas trees and aisle after aisle of ornaments and Christmas-y crafts.  The whole store smelled of cinnamon and spice and crisp, wonderful autumn.  It was nearly more than I could handle when we walked out the doors and the heat and stink of sizzling asphalt punched us in the face.  Hobby Lobby, how could you be so cruel?


All I want is a little of this:


Or even this:


Or a cold snap.  Or a hurricane.  Or pretty much anything other than day after day of cloudless sunny skies, 103 degrees, and 60+ percent humidity.  

I checked the weather forecast this morning and saw that there is a one percent chance of rain tomorrow.  

I got pretty excited.

I may be getting desperate.

Or maybe not--is anyone else out there dressing in sweaters and mittens and standing in front of a full-blast air conditioner while drinking hot chocolate and humming Christmas carols?

Anyone?

11 comments:

  1. Oh, Lindsay. I'm so sorry about the heat. But, man, Hobby Lobby just makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so with you Lindsay! I was just in hobby lobby a few days ago here in MS thinking the SAME exact thing. At least we get a bit if rain here, but the humidity is about 50x what SA felt like! Ugh. I was telling Riley next move he owes me...someplace with real seasons! Good luck and hope that 1% pans out for ya'll.
    Gorgeous pics BTW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I feel exactly the same way. I do love winter. I love the snow and the cold and the season. It is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been so worried about everyone in Texas this summer. Summer should be enjoyable! I feel bad that it's been so extreme this year. But, oh the winters there are divine. Hang in there.
    Stopped by from MMB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fall/Winter are my favorite seasons. I totally understand how you feel. Visiting from MMB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting from MMB and I AM dressing in sweaters and drinking hot chocolate without the air conditioning because it is COLD here in Alaska already. Maybe you need to move to Alaska! I keep saying if I can just have ONE sunny day over 60 degrees....Funny how we always want what we don't currently have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The depression I get during the dreary no-sun smog covered days of winter make me very glad for the sun filled days of summer. Bring on the sun. Bring on the light.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I love fall, I am not ready for it yet this year because where I live (waaaaay up north) we've hardly had a summer yet. And after fall, winter (6 months of it) comes way too soon, and that's when my own Seasonal Affective Disorder starts! The grass is always greener I guess...

    But I do know how you feel! I hope you get your fall soon!

    Visiting from MMB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehehe, it's hard to empathise from the base of the earth - we just threw snowballs last week (and the white stuff's a rarity down here). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay, so this is weird. I linked to your blog and was reading your post. I saw your had your wedding pictures posted and i love to look at wedding pictures, so I clicked through them and I see a friend. I live in San Jose and you had Mark and Claudia Laugenhour at your reception!!!
    How is that for crazy. Are you related?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Weather is one of those funny things that's very relative, isn't it? I remember living in northern Utah and getting so tired of putting on layer after layer of clothing anytime I wanted to step outside. Wouldn't it be nice if we could switch out a week of weather in July for a week of weather in January? Right now I feel like I would give anything for a day of rain, but when I lived in Portland, I would have given anything to see the sun!

    ewoman007, my mom grew up in San Jose and went to high school with Mark and Claudia. She and Claudia are still best friends; it was so nice of the Laugenours to come to my wedding. I lived in SF/SJ until I was 10 and still have a lot of family in the bay area. It's one of my favorite places on earth--if taxes, housing prices, and the economy weren't so crazy there, I would move back in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete