Wednesday, December 14, 2011

It is Safe to Say that This Will Not Be Me

I had an appointment last week with my doctor.  The appointment went well; my doctor took time to answer my questions, and based on measurements from the sonogram, Baby weighs 2 lbs 13 oz--she's in the 53rd percentile.  Hooray for average!  I was so pleased.  


(Sidenote: I have decided those 3D ultrasounds are freaky.  I am now going to have nightmares that my baby looks like the Joker.  I'll stick with the fuzzy and two-dimensional silhouettes, thanks.)


Anyway, as we were leaving, I made my next appointment with the scheduler (I'm now going in every 2 weeks!  How is it possible I'm in my third trimester already??).  We started small-talking, and she was saying she didn't know what to get her 9-year old son for Christmas.  Common enough dilemma, right?  


But then she says, "He already has a Wii and an Xbox and I just got him an iPhone for passing his TAKS test.  I would buy him games for his gaming systems, but he's only interested in his iPhone now.  My boyfriend is going to get him an iTunes giftcard, but I really want him to have something big to unwrap on Christmas morning."


She proceeds to tell me that her son has been asking for a new iPhone with 4G capability, but I guess even she has her limits.  


I tend to raise my eyebrows a bit when any kid under the age of 16 has a cell phone (some of my 6-year-old patients have them!  Seriously?), but an iPhone? for a nine year old??  For "passing" Texas' minimum requirements to progress to the next grade?  I'm all about praise and privileges and rewards, but... wow.


(I'm getting all my judgy-ness out of my system before I'm actually a parent.  I'm already aware I'll be doing at least half the things I self-righteously condemn, plus more.  Just let me live with my blissful ignorance for another couple months, okay?)

5 comments:

  1. I can see you raising your cute eye brows now. LOL, people need to stop over sharing! Can you imagine if she was saying all that to a low-income mom who was struggling to just put Christmas dinner let alone presents on the table? Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sad thing is, I'm sure she probably is a "low-income mom" herself--I know I didn't make much when I was a receptionist...

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is... wow. Really wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...I would probably have the same thoughts. And your judgy-ness comment cracks me up because it's so true. You always judge those moms you see losing it in Wal-mart...until you have one of those days with your own kid and become one of 'those moms'. :) But all judging aside, I'm sure you and Jay will still be great parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...I totally agree with you. My kid is not going to have an iPhone when he's nine--at least not as a reward for passing a test.

    ReplyDelete