Friday, March 16, 2012

Postpartum Lindsay...


{Pictures of Kate at five days old)
  • Is crazy emotional.  Emphasis on both "crazy" and "emotional."
  • No longer craves cereal.  In fact, I'm really not a fan anymore.  This is a huge shift as I was eating at least three bowls a day up until I gave birth.
  • Craves "real" food: fruits, veggies, and balanced meals.  Oh, and graham crackers.  I can't get enough of them.
 
  • Is sleep deprived.  My baby definitely sleeps better than some (the other night she slept for 7 hours straight and I woke up feeling like a horrible mother--there is no escaping the maternal guilt), but I'm still exhausted all the time.
  • Smells.  And that's all I'm going to say about that.
  • Feels strongly about the importance of nursing, much more so than I did before.  Not the importance of breastmilk and its superiority to formula or the importance of every baby being breastfed, but the importance of me nursing my baby at this time.  It's time I wouldn't trade, even if it means I'm the only one who gets up most nights.
 
  • Is completely dumbstruck at how much more laundry needs to be done--it's increased exponentially.  
  • Has lost half the baby weight (the water half. The other half looks like it's going to linger).  Hopefully those healthy food cravings stick around for awhile.
  • Is still wearing maternity clothes and probably will be for months.  And that's okay.
 
  • No longer has swollen, achy feet--a trial that lasted far longer after giving birth than I ever imagined it could.
  • Can't imagine ever having more than one child--how could I handle three when I can't handle one?
  • Is in awe of women who manage to keep their homes relatively clean, cook relatively nutritious dinners, care for one or more children, and actually leave their houses and have time for hobbies.  Seriously, Jay came home from work last week and asked me what I'd done that day, and I had taken a nap, bathed myself and the baby, fed the baby, checked the mail, and cleared off the table.  And in the nine hours he'd been gone, that was it.  
 
  • Thinks Kate is the most beautiful baby in the world.  I'm not one of those people who thinks all babies are cute--some just aren't.  Though I know, logically, there are prettier babies than mine, when Kate looks at me with her deep, alert eyes, I am completely transfixed.  I have never seen a more fascinating creature.
  • Is, both in turns and all at once, completely overwhelmed by anxiety, awe, inadequacy, love, worry, exhaustion, and wonder.
  • Is beginning to become reconciled to the fact that life will never, ever be the same.
 

11 comments:

  1. Well said on every front! I'm always amazed at how one tiny little person can create so much laundry. And I consider days that find both mother and baby bathed a complete success. :) Motherhood is a whole new ball game, and it sounds as though you are quickly becoming a pro. Eventually everything will settle in, and I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying this special season of life so much. It will pass much more quickly that you can imagine!

    And I really have to agree with you... Kate is a truly beautiful baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lacey. You are a great mom.
    And because you said nice things about my child, now we're friends for life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds about right! I used to wonder how anyone ever had more than one child. I don't think I had it together until I had two actually... Your life really never is completely yours again, and it's the best thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this. congrats on your beautiful baby girl! i have never seen such a perfect little nose on a newborn. you should be very proud of that perfect little nose! a friend in my ward who has 6 boys gave me some great advice before our third came along. She said to embrace the chaos of having kids. i liked that. the ever present dirty dishes in the sink and the piles of laundry just don't bother me as much as they used too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are transitioning into motherhood just right! I felt the same way after having JD, so overwhemled, but such a high mother bear drive of protecting this precious little gift that was sent to me. Everything will settle and soon you will feel great. I can't get enough of her pictures. Kate is absolutely adorable!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Postpartum Lindsay sounds very familiar to my own experiences. Actually every point seems very personal to me, especially the laundry. I swear it multiplies in the basket :) It will get easier. Kate is beautiful and I love seeing pictures of her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post. I agree with everything! and yes, she is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are handling it all with such grace. I have no advice, but I just love you and love Kate. I think you got a lot done in 9 hours, I would just want to stare at my baby all day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ... and... she has the best head of hair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She makes me want to have another baby!!! I love baby feet... And don't worry, you guys will both settle into your new roles and one day soon you'll realize that you just got yourself and the baby ready, the house is clean, and you've got a yummy dinner on the table all before Jay got home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are doing great! Things calm down after a while, don't worry. You're going a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete