Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Easter Dress


I remember getting an "Easter dress" each year when I was younger.  They always incorporated floral prints and pastels, and I invariably wore them with white fold-down ruffle socks.  Kate's little socks were dirty, so her feet are bare in these pictures, but I love her in this dress!


Kate had her two-month checkup a week ago.  She grew two pounds and two inches.  Here are her stats:
Height: 22 inches, 25-50th percentile
Weight: 9 lbs 10 oz, 10-25th percentile
Head (FOC): 39 cm, 50-75th percentile


She is a petite little thing and has long, skinny arms.  Her thighs have finally started to beef up a little, which is good because a) I was already starting to call her "chicken legs" in my head and b) beefier legs mean better-fitting diapers.  


We learned that last one the hard way this last week when we took Kate on her first road trip to meet her Grandma Ruby in Gilmer, TX. 

She was a trooper for most of the drive, but about three hours into it, we pulled the car over for a diaper change, and HOLY MOLY: worst blowout.  Ever.  



At first, I thought it wasn't too bad...but when Jay was gingerly trying to take off Kate's clothes, her weighted diaper just slid right down her little legs, coating them in poop.  (I promised myself I'd never talk about poop on my blog--because who wants to read about that?--but then I became a mom, and my life is now overrun with poop and diapers, diapers and poop.  Poop poop poop.)




So picture, if you will, Jay standing next to the car in a Burger King parking lot in who knows where, TX, holding a very naked, very poopy Kate in one hand with me standing close and giving her a wet wipe bath.  This took a significant amount of time (have you ever tried cleaning between a baby's toes with wet wipes?--not easy).  We were tempted to take her into Burger King and give her a sink bath, but since I'm more afraid of fast food restaurant bathroom germs than baby poop germs, we held off.  Jay squirted some hand sanitizer on her legs, and after dressing her in a "back up" outfit, we were good to go.

(After two more consecutive blowouts in Gilmer, I realized we had gone up a diaper size a little too early--Kate's legs were too skinny for the new diapers.  We've since switched brands, and so far, so good.)



We had a lovely time in Gilmer.  Kate smiled at all of her newly-met aunts, uncles, and cousins and loved spending time with great-grandma Ruby and Jay's parents and brothers.  She slept the last 3-4 hours of our trip home--it was great.  Hopefully we'll make it back for another visit soon!




12 comments:

  1. Such a cute girl. It's so true that as soon as you become a mom bodily functions and all that goes with them consume more of your thoughts and time then you ever thought possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful princess she is!! Glad to see that you are making through all the "crap" she brings ya. heheheh. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so darn cute :)...poop and all, right? We need to get together!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She has the most beautiful strawberry blond hair and the happiest little face I've ever seen. How can I love someone so much even though we have never met? What a beauty (despite the blowout) she is. And I can just picture Jay cleaning that up with a fun little grin on his face. I am so glad you three had a blessed Easter. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh poop. Idk if I can handle reading your blog anymore. Jk. She is adorable and I love her lil faces! Glad you figured out the diaper situation. Blow-outs terrify me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blowouts seem to happen on car trips regardless of the right size diaper or not. At least that is my experience... Try cleaning out a car seat covered in poop in a McD's bathroom...not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blowouts seem to happen on car trips regardless of the right size diaper or not. At least that is my experience... Try cleaning out a car seat covered in poop in a McD's bathroom...not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet, perfect little girl. We are excited to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is so precious! All that coppery red hair and those sweet smiles... Seriously beautiful. Love her darling Easter dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Skinny-legged babies really do have more blowouts!! I know from experience, those darn diapers aren't made for little light-weights!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tee hee.... darn diapers! :)
    ADORABLE dress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is a princess! She's just perfect! Her smile is absolutely captivating!
    It makes Forrest Gump's statement so much more meaningful . .. "It happens" :)

    ReplyDelete