Friday, August 10, 2012

Every New Beginning Comes From Some Other Beginning's End

{Kate napping with Grandma in Texas before the move}

June and July were busy months for us. We loaded up our lives and our faith into a huge Penske moving van at the end of June and set off on our 1300 mile journey. Our one bedroom apartment's worth of stuff barely filled a single layer on the bottom of the 26-foot long truck. We'd reserved a 22-footer--the smallest truck that had a bench seat to fit the three of us--but they gave us a 26-footer instead. Probably the one time in my life I didn't want an upgrade. Add to that the ten foot cab and at least 15 feet for Jay's car and the towing hitch, and we easily had a 50+ foot rig. My mom and sister flew out and drove my car to Vegas, bless them, so Jay and Kate and I got to ride together.

I was scared to death of that truck. Scared to death of how big it was and how far we had to go. Luckily for me, Jay drove the whole way without complaint and turned out to have quite an aptitude for trucking. Total blessing. 

Can I just put in a Penske plug here? The truck was clean; the cab looked brand new and spotless. No funky smells (unlike our brief Uhaul experience a few years ago), lots of room under the seat, adjustable seat for Jay's long legs, no airbags so we could put Kate in the middle, lots of cupholders/cubbies to put stuff in, a nice radio with CD player AND aux port, comfy vinyl seats. And even though we were cranky about the bigger truck, they knocked $100 off the price. And when we got a bill for $100 worth of gas even though we filled it right before dropping it off, they removed all charges after I made a few phone calls.

We left Saturday around noon and drove to El Paso that night. We lived off of a bag of Panera bagels and a jar of nuts and a few other snackies. On Sunday we drove all day to Kingman, AZ, and could've made it all the way to Vegas, but opted to take our time since it was late and we couldn't move in until Monday, anyway. Kate was a champ, so good, the best baby in the world. She sat in her seat for hours at a time and just chilled. I pumped on the road and fed her bottles. One time we didn't stop to burp her soon enough and she threw up unbelievable amounts of half-digested milk. Even then she didn't make a peep, just smiled when it was over and wanted another bottle.

Poor Lucy, though, was another story. The first day she yowled constantly and scratched so much in her carrier under Jay's seat that her nails bled. She was freaking out in every sense of the word. Finally, the next day, I wised up and we let her free in the cab of the truck (despite her filth and my fears she'd go crazy and escape or interfere with Jay's driving). She was a changed cat. Like me, Lucy appears to be a control freak; I could empathize with her plight--I would rather be taken to Vegas under my own steam than dragged along in a cage, too.

That last day, only two hours from Vegas, a switch flipped and Kate decided she'd had enough. When we tried to put her in her seat, she arched her back and kicked her little legs and alternated between a piteous cry and a full-on scream. Kate rarely, if ever, cries like that, so it was hard for us to push through it. We stopped a couple times so I could nurse her and then dealt with the screams until she fell into a brief sleep, then started the process again. 

We had an adventure finding the property management office--even with Jay's skills, driving a 50 foot long truck in downtown Vegas was pretty stressful. Despite several frustrations with our property manager (didn't tell us until we arrived we needed a cashier's check, NOT a check check, for our deposit, meaning more maneuvering around Vegas in a huge truck, no gas or water on in our house, AC not turned on (though she said it was) so it was 96 degrees inside...) and despite not being able to get hold of anyone from the ward to help us move in, we had a good group of family and friends show up to help us unload the truck (bless you forever Wayne and Danielle, Stewart fam, Erik, and Dan!).

And by nine o'clock that night, it was just me and Jay, with Kate asleep upstairs, eating Cafe Rio takeout on the couch (there are two Cafe Rios within 5 miles of us. Jealous?) and looking around at the stacks of boxes in our new house.

I'm pleased to say we're mostly unpacked now, though we don't have any dressers, so the bedrooms are still a disorganized mess, and we don't have anything up on the walls yet. 

I love having more space, even though the upstairs is bare and furniture-less (besides our bed and Kate's pack & play), and I'm finding it SO much easier to keep everything clean(er)--at least downstairs. Which makes me much happier, because even though I'm a creature of chaos, entropy stresses me out.

Some Vegas family members asked the other day how I was liking Vegas. I could answer honestly that the pros definitely outweigh the cons, and I think we'll be very happy here.

{My family at a recent family reunion. Being close to them and Jay's Las Vegas relations are huge pros--big enough that they alone outweigh any cons.}


8 comments:

  1. Moving is stressful. Period. Surprised you didn't stay overnight with us in El Paso... Glad you're liking Vegas. I've learned I can be happy anywhere, even though I have a few favs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, we almost called you--we certainly thought about you guys. We decided against it because 1) it was 11:00 at night and 2) Jay didn't want to drive the truck far from the freeway. We didn't know until we got there that we'd be staying in El Paso--sorry we missed you!

      Delete
  2. I hate moving and a huge moving truck is so nerve wracking! I've had to drive a really long Penske before <-- only kind of moving truck I'll rent for long moves..and if I was just going straight and didnt have to switch lanes, it was ok. Any curves or turns and I got white knuckled. I'm glad you guys are liking Vegas so far. Yay for having a bigger place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed--I am so glad Jay drove the whole way!

      Delete
  3. I am most certainly jealous of your proximity to Cafe Rio! That rocks! I hope Lucy is feeling better and that you continue to thoroughly enjoy Vegas! We miss you guys!

    PS I can't believe Kate's already eating real food! She's growing up way too fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come visit and we will treat you to Cafe Rio :). Kate is growing too fast--I can't believe it!

      Delete
  4. I love reading your blog Lindsay! It makes me miss you though! Kate really is so beautiful! I was reading about your doctors appointment, my Chase was below the 5th percentile in weight until he turned one, which gave me all kinds of stress. Suddenly his genes kicked in and now he's like 70th percentile. I think sometimes they just grow on their own schedule:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you, Court! Congrats on #2. I try not to worry too much, although it can be hard. I was always a really petite baby, and I think I turned out okay, so I'm trying not to put too much stock in numbers!

      Delete