Sunday, August 5, 2012

Humble Pie

I had a vendetta against Texas for a long time.  Since my freshman year of college, in fact. You could say all that Texas pride rubbed me the wrong way--the Texans I met that year were nice enough individuals but quite obnoxious in groups ("Did you know Texas is the only state that can secede from the Union at any time?" "The Texas flag is the only flag that's allowed to be as high up as the American flag." "Don't mess with Texas!" "American by birth, Texan by grace of God.").  Anyway, when I started dating Jay and discovered that not only was he from Texas but he was heading to Texas for dental school, I was a little turned off.  Because I was never moving to Texas, y'all.  


But then I did move to Texas.  And I learned, among other things, that "don't mess with Texas" is an anti-littering campaign, not just a Texas-pride slogan.  And despite their crazy Texas paraphernalia, Texans aren't generally obnoxious about their Texan-ness.  I knew I'd probably be happy in Texas--I'm learning the wheres in my life doesn't matter so much as the whos and whats and whys--but I didn't expect I'd love it. That I'd miss it. That I wouldn't want to leave.


I loved the wooded parks, the peach orchard, the trees, I-410, the missions, the bluebonnets,  and Blue Bell ice cream.  Most of all, I loved the people.  Admittedly, not all of them (in fact, not even most of them) were "true" Texans--some were transplants, and some were just there, like us, for a couple years.  But San Antonio served as the catalyst that brought us all together.  I've never had friends like that before, and I'm not sure I ever will again.


When we left town for the last time in our enormous moving van, my tears mingled with the Blue Bell ice cream I'd salvaged from our freezer.  I was so sad to be leaving this place.  San Antonio was where I decided to marry Jay. Where we got engaged. Where we spent our first four years of marriage together. Where we received our graduate and post-graduate education. Where I had my first "real" job. Where we fought through infertility and weathered pregnancy and had our sweet baby.  We'd lived here for over four years, and it was home.  


Two and a half days and 1,300 miles later, we pulled into the driveway of our new home in Las Vegas. Ironically, I've never liked Nevada, either. (I even wrote a poem about it in high school. Maybe I'll post it here someday.) Already, though, I like it more than I thought I would, and we're blessed to be near some great people.  

So even though I'm still "homesick" and there's a Texas-sized hole where my old friends and favorite haunts used to be, Vegas is growing on me. It's not home yet, but it's close.


{Hey, karma, in case we ever have to move again, I really hate London and Oregon and St. George and Connecticut and Colorado. Hint hint.}

21 comments:

  1. I find a huge failing in all the people moving at the same time is that I don't often get to say goodbye. I would've said bye to you. I hope Nevada treats you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charly, I've been reading all your fun adventures in Texas and it makes me homesick. I'm sorry I didn't get to say goodbye--it was easier for me to leave quietly.

      Delete
  2. Miss you! Glad you're making friends there too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you too, Susan! Needless to say, this stake's music is crazy underdeveloped--in fact, our ward's first choir practice in a long time was just last month!

      Delete
  3. I've never been to Texas, but I can tell you how much I've come to love Vegas if you ever need some reassurance!! I got my "dream" to move back to StG....let's just say that dreams are better than reality! Sometimes it's the places we think we least want to be that turn out to be the best places for us! For me- that place is Vegas! I hope it continues to grow on ya! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kar. We'll have to get together soon!

      Delete
  4. That's exactly how I feel about Texas. There is a chance that we may be moving out of state for a few years for Neil's work, but even when he told me the hypothetical news, I made him pinky swear we can come back to Texas after it is over.

    Good luck in LV! My sister and her family have lived there for like 18 years and they love it. Are you in the Elkhorn Stake, by chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live just outside of the Elkhorn stake--we're on the other side of the freeway from Elkhorn. It's a nice area!

      I think a part of me will always miss Texas, but it is nice to have a fresh start somewhere new and be close to family.

      Delete
  5. Lindsay! We just missed each other. Bummer. I can't believe we are back in TX! Two more years...

    I'm glad you are liking Vegas. My brother and family live there. We will have to meet up sometime! Good luck with all the new and exciting adventures awaiting ya'll out west! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krista, I was so sad we missed you! If you're ever in Vegas, let us know--we'll have you over for dinner and hire you to take our family picture :).

      Delete
  6. Oh Lindsey! We miss you guys! I'm glad you're enjoying Las Vegas--Want to come over and play Pinochle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there orange julius and Shannon's famous popcorn in the bargain??

      Delete
  7. Texas misses you!!! Well, really, I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We miss you guys and Abi--can't believe she's one!! Come visit us!

      Delete
  8. I went to high school in Texas and when pressed I tell people I'm from Texas (when they first ask I say I'm from heaven). I have a bumpersticker somewhere that says "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could." There's just something about Texas that grows on you.

    And Hawaii can fly it's flag at the same level as the US flag too. Both states were independent nations at one point, so that's why.

    I'm also not a fan of Nevada. It's possible it's because my only real experience with the state is the Las Vegas airport, which I avoid during travels when possible.

    Good luck with the move!

    Found you through MMB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tidbit about Hawaii--I didn't know that!

      Delete
  9. If you ever miss Texas just drive on up the road and visit me and my mom. She's Texan through and through. Hope to see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still really miss my Leon valley friends too. Such amazing people who taught me so much, including your lesson during our time as ward missionaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about that, Andrea! You are so talented--I've always admired your ability to get things done. I hope you're doing well.

      Delete