Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Kate's Stats

Kate was making cute baby noises the other day, so I pulled out the camera.  Of course she stopped "talking" as soon as I started filming, but this video shows our happy, kicking Kate.

Kate kicks and smiles, July 2012 from mylifeintune on Vimeo.


Kate was supposed to have her 4-month checkup before we left Texas, but it just didn't happen.  I finally got on the ball and got her in to see a doctor yesterday.  I had to wait over an hour to see him, and he was nice but told me I'm "silly" for wanting to space out Kate's vaccines (not even that much!) (whatever, dude). I scheduled my next appointment with him, but I'm going to call back and switch to someone else. Mostly because I hate waiting.  (Why tell me to be 15 minutes early and then make me wait 1.25 hours to see the doctor? And, yes, I was early. Silly me.)



{Kate eats bananas}

Among other things (guy was a talker), the doctor said it's fine to start Kate on "real" food, but hold off on fruits (because once babies taste the "good stuff," they won't want to eat veggies).  Oops.  Here are a couple of videos of Kate eating fruits before we found out that's a no-no:


Kate eats bananas, August 2012 from mylifeintune on Vimeo.


I thought it was a myth when I heard you should start feeding babies foods once they start "showing interest" in them (what does that even mean??), but Kate is Interested. In. Food. She's always reaching for our spoons and cups and plates.  I can hardly drink when I'm holding her because she twists around and tries to grab my water bottle. So we tried her on a couple things. This go-round, Kate wasn't as into the strawberries as she had been the previous time.  I think she's going to be her father's child and be a fruit lover.

Kate eats a strawberry, July 2012 from mylifeintune on Vimeo.

{That noise in the background is Lucy being a spazz and chasing her ball around.}

We repented of our baby-indulging ways and steamed up some spinach for Kate. Needless to say, she was a bit disappointed:




She tried it, though. I think it was a little bitter, but she got over it:


In an attempt to be yuppie, I bought some organic brown rice the other day, and I'm planning on grinding it up to make some baby cereal. We'll see how that goes.

{Kate sleeping and sucking her thumb}

Here are Kate's five month stats:
Height: 24.5 inches, 25th percentile
Weight: 12 lbs 1 oz (with a wet diaper!), 5th percentile
Head circumference: 42 cm, 50th percentile

I was a little worried by how small she is, but that doctor wasn't concerned. I guess we just have a petite girl! He asked how tall my husband is, and when I told him 6'5", he was surprised. "Based on her numbers right now, she'll be 5'3" and 100 lbs," he said.

I was amused. Even with my short genes, I doubt any child of Jay's will be 5'3".

9 comments:

  1. I've heard that "don't start your kids on fruits," thing, too, but I don't think it's true. Human milk is just as sweet as strawberries and bananas, so babies will have tasted "the good stuff" from the very beginning!

    In the small sample size that is My House, we started Sammy on bananas (in a really hard-core way, too.) and he is a fantastic eater. He even eats the crusts on his sandwiches! He specifically asks for carrots and potatoes and broccoli for dinner.

    So yeah, I don't think counseling parents to avoid feeding their children fruit is based in any solid evidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, you're probably right. And I will give her more fruit soon, but the main reason I didn't give her veggies was because I'm lazy and didn't want to cook/puree them. So I've decided to try some veggies first--maybe it was coincidence, but she didn't do well with avocado or spinach. We'll see how she does with peas and rice cereal next...

      Delete
  2. Oh what a cutie pie!

    How nice that she can self-sooth by sucking her thumb :) smart girl!

    5ft3 and 100 pounds would be very petite! I am with you, I bet she'll be a bit tall, but who knows. I do know she'll be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! You need to come meet her...

      Delete
  3. We just started seeing a new dr. after the move and we waited an hour (after the nurse had been in the room and taken the history, vitals, etc.) NO FUN!

    I started all of my kids on fruit first and they are all great eaters so don't worry too much. Not that you asked, but if you wanted some food advice I would say don't give up if she doesn't like something the first time. It has been my experience that if you keep trying eventually they will start to like most foods. And by the way, I was super impressed that you are making all your baby food. Sadly I didn't realize how easy it was until right before Maren was born and then we moved and things got all crazy. Do you know about freezing pureed foods in ice cube trays and then transferring to a ziplock bag? ok that is my 4 cents on baby food ...

    I love love LOVE that last picture... great shot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I think I'll introduce fruits soon--I thought the doctor was a little extreme. I got a Baby Bullet for my baby shower, and it has little storage trays/cups you can freeze. I haven't made a big batch of anything yet, but I think it will be doable.

      We need to see you guys soon!

      Delete
  4. Of course you would have such an adorable child!! Oh my gosh, I just want to squeeze her, she's so cute! Miss your face. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stace, I miss you! You need to meet her. The next time you're in town, let us know!

      Delete
  5. I love these pictures! She is so cute and has grown a ton since we saw her last. Spinach is fun, isn't it? Her low weight stat is like Ella was at 4 months and the doctor said the exact same thing about being petite. Then at 6 months when she hadn't gained he was pretty concerned and we started supplementing. She gained 4 lbs in a month! Poor girl was hungry all the time and I didn't know because she was always so happy.
    We're glad the move went well! Tell Jay good luck with his new job. It looks like you guys are in a good place, though we wish you were closer. London 2013? YES.

    ReplyDelete