Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sickies Uncensored

{I took some pictures to accompany this blog post. They are true to today. No attempt has been made to dress Kate up like a Gap model or hide her toy mess. Extra points if you can spot the Sharpie, the runny nose, the unsnapped shirt she's been wearing since yesterday, and the awesomely messy hair.}


We have the plague at our house. Yesterday afternoon Jay and I lay in bed with Kate rolling between us like a squirmy puppy, her inexplicable energy augmenting our exhaustion. Our trashcans, toilet bowls, and nightstands are filled with mountains of tissues. We wheeze, we sneeze. Noses flow, noses blow.


Why is it when I'm sick that I feel the most guilt? Guilt that my house is a mess. Guilt that my baby is rolling around on the floor, jabbering between hacking coughs, playing with a (capped, for now) permanent marker that I don't want to take from her because right now she's happy and I DON'T WANT TO MESS THAT UP. Guilt that I can't exercise (since when do I exercise?). Guilt that I don't want to cook. Guilt that, "oh, I should call that friend I've been meaning to help, but wait--I can't because now I'm sick and don't want to infect her kids."


Yesterday I forced myself to do dishes, fold laundry, go through papers, and finally crochet sitting in bed while watching The Bachelor (because OMG that Tierra is such a hot mess). Later, Jay watched Kate and made breadsticks (because he is that kind of man) while I went to Winco and bought almost everything on my list, plus some random items like Oreos and bubbles and three different kinds of tissues and about 500 things of Tillamook yogurt since it's on sale. I felt like Zombie Woman in the grocery store because I'd catch myself staring at things until I snapped out of it and wondered how long I'd been standing there: flaxseed in the bulk section. Pomelos in the produce section. A scary guy with a Playboy bunny tattooed on his face standing next to the pomelos.


I wouldn't have braved the grocery store at all except that poor Kate has been eating the same four things (oatmeal, cheerios, peas, sweet potatoes, and sometimes bits of our food) for every meal the past five days--the child NEEDED bananas.  (MORE GUILT--this is why I went to the store.)


So now it's all worth it, because as I'm writing this, cozied up on the couch with my tissue box and wearing my baggiest, saggiest jeans with tube socks and an old white windbreaker (you're welcome for that mental image), Kate is stuffing her face with bananas and strawberries (okay, and Cheerios). I just fed her a bowlful of freshly pureed peas (she eats those much better than regular peas), and I feel like I'm doing right by my baby when I provide her with a variety of healthy foods.

{Kate scoots all the time now--she has the cutest little army crawl. As soon as I pulled out the camera, she was on her way over to me. She'll follow me around the downstairs when I'm out of her sight--I love it.}

Except now I'm wondering if maybe I should cut back on the fruit because as I'm writing this, Kate is pooping for the THIRD TIME TODAY. And it's only 12:30. Saints preserve us.

{And you wouldn't even know from looking at these pictures (other than the tell-tale snot) that she's sick, would you? Despite being a bit more whiny and fragile, she's really quite the cheerful sickie.}

9 comments:

  1. I think you should come to my house more often... Or maybe just look at my blog pictures as critically as you look at your own (well, you cannot look as critically, because I just do iPhone pictures so everything is out of focus anyway...)
    Regardless, good luck shedding that guilt... If you need help, my home (and blog) are always a wreck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get better soon :) and Kate is seriously the cutest, sweetest sickie I've ever seen.

      Delete
    2. I definitely agree that I should come to your house more often!

      Delete
  2. Hope y'all feel better soon. Don't feel too guilty; we bought sweets a shake today and that ended up being her dinner :) Kate id do adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parenting, I'm learning, is all about flexibility...

      Delete
  3. So much goodness in this post. First off, I hope you feel better. I wish I was there to fix you soup with my orthopedic shoes on.

    The man with the tat... why!? Gross!

    In Minneapolis we call Kate's hair "hipster," not messy :)

    Your house looks cute. I need to see more.

    Miss you real bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be served soup and see your orthopedic shoes! I love my house, but it definitely needs your touch. You know I'm hopeless at decorating!

      Delete
  4. Oh Lindsay, how you brighten up my day in the strangest kind of way. Everyone sick at once is such an awful thing! I hope all of it's past! And oh my heck, that nosefrida snot sucker thing-a-ma-bob is awesome. Wish we would have bought that before the first onset of sickness in our family.

    Hmmm...and if that's a mess....then I guess our house was hit by a tornado. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki, thanks! Nosefrida all the way, right?

      I only took pictures of the toy mess. The kitchen was pretty dang gross :).

      Delete