Saturday, September 28, 2013

18 months

{Kate thinks she is pretty big. This picture was taken last week before ten in the morning, so that explains the pjs and crazy hair}

Kate is such a toddler now. She still can't really run, but she walks everywhere with her little bouncing, bow-legged gait. Yesterday she went outside with Jay to check the mail and ended up face-planting in the street. She has her first face road rash. For a toddler, thus far she's been pretty bump-and-bruise free. Let's hope this isn't the beginning of a new era (especially since I'm hoping to have family pictures taken sometime soon!).


My neighbor fosters kittens, and she brought over a couple the other day for Kate to play with. Kate liked the kitties (at first she kept excitedly saying "woof! woof!" but after she figured out they were cats, she made her kitty sound: "Wow. Wow."), but having them loose in the house stressed her out. She would follow them around, half laughing, half hysterical, until I would pick them up.

 {Kiss for the kitty. (Don't stress out, Grandma, she didn't actually kiss it!)}

Kate's vocabulary has been exploding lately. Her articulation is not great, but her words are consistent. She says applesauce (saa-saw), cereal (see-soo), outside (sa-sai), water (wah-wai), baby (maymee; this is also how she says her Aunt Amy's name--not sure if Kate's trying to tell us something...), belly button (beh bai), thank you (day-doo; she also does the sign as she says it), diaper (die-po), shoe. New animal sounds include meow (wow), "hoo" (for an owl), cockadoodledoo (doo), and "Ssss" for a snake. She can also identify just about all of her body parts.


{My neighbor named this set of kittens after characters from the office. This little guy is Jim; the black one is Pam.}


Kate has recently started saying "Yeah" whenever we ask just about anything. It is so cute and so funny. Usually she says it in an excited voice ("Yeah!"). She used to just try and repeat the last word we said; now it feels more like having a conversation. 

A conversation Kate and I had about two minutes ago:

Kate (standing next to my chair as I ate breakfast, half hopping up and down): "See-soo! See-soo! See-soo! See-soo!"
Me: "You want some cereal, Kate?"
Kate: "Yeah!"

I will admit I'm pleased Kate learned "yeah" before "no." She does shake her head sometimes when she doesn't want something, but we haven't had to deal with her screaming "Nonononononono!"  ...Yet. 




Lately, Kate has been getting into everything. It's been making me crazy because I just can't keep up with all her messes--she's constantly strewing things around the house. The sad truth about entropy is that it takes significantly more time to create order than it does to spread chaos, so I'm always at least three messes behind her.


The above picture from a few days ago shows Kate's road rash (it had already started healing by then). I got out the camera to document her scratches and also her habit of pulling all the boxes out of the pantry (notice the stuff all around her), but once I started snapping pictures, she made this face. It may look like she's smiling, but if you notice that she's slightly squatting and her face is a bit red, you'll recognize this for what it really is: Kate's pooping face. Not sure why she "smiles" while she pushes, and Jay thinks it's mean of me to document it, but I think it is cute.


My parents came down for a few hours on my birthday, which was wonderful. We went to a nearby park that has ponds, grass, and all kinds of waterfowl. We stumbled across this peacock that really liked Cheerios (I didn't have stale bread, so I improvised). He got pretty up close and personal with Kate, who was unfortunately so zoned (it was her naptime) that she wasn't super excited about it.



Kate loves animals and their sounds, and most of the books and puzzles I have out right now are animal-themed. She says the animal name/sound over and over with increasing urgency until we validate her: "that's a pig!" or "where's the pig, Kate?" She's gotten really good at pointing at pictures to identify them. She is super observant and will find any animal on a page, no matter how small. The other day, she kept saying "P! p! p! p! p!" I looked at the book she was looking at, and there were a bunch of animals, but no pig. "Kate, there's no pig," I said. "Look, there's a cow! There's a dog!" But she kept saying, "P! p! p!" So I asked, "Where's the pig, Kate?" And she slammed her finger down on a pig I didn't even see because only 1/4 of its face was visible, poking through the cracks of the fence behind the other animals.


Kate is quite a solid little thing. I love her round tummy and her sturdy little legs. She still has fat, puffy feet.

Kate's stats at 18 months:
  • Height: 31 inches; 25-50th percentile
  • Weight: 24 lbs 11 oz; 50-75th percentile (!!)
  • Head circumference: 48 cm; 75-90th percentile

1 comment:

  1. Ah! I love her :) what a little sweetheart she is. I kind of want the photo of her sitting and blogging (she loves blogs, right?) blown up and put in a frame. Then I can brag to all about how wise my goddaughter is. She's going to be so grateful you documented all of her milestones with a speech path's twist :)

    ReplyDelete