Thursday, March 20, 2014

Two!


Kate turned two last month. She is officially no longer a baby. The day before her birthday, we had dinner at Auntie Mar Mar's house. She wanted to make a dinner that Kate would like, so she asked me what Kate's favorite foods are. I felt like a bad mother when I couldn't think of anything besides broccoli and cereal. Marlene suggested we make "kid foods," so I brought hot dogs and she made a delicious homemade mac and cheese. Again with the feeling of parental failure, though, because I think Kate has had those two food items exactly one time each. She's never even had a chicken nugget. I started worrying that I was depriving my child of the rite of passage that is ultra-processed food. 


{Kate loved the birthday hats}

Marlene asked what I was planning on having for Kate's birthday dessert. "Um, a cake?" I said. "Probably a chocolate one in a 9x13 pan that isn't aesthetically pleasing but tastes just fine because she's two and will just be thrilled we're letting her eat sugar?" 



I think I still have a couple years before Kate figures out that there are moms who craft intricate cakes, have legitimate party decorations, and pull off "themed" birthdays. I admire the talents of these women, but I do not find joy in doing any of those things. So when Marlene offered, with excitement in her voice, to make Kate a doll cake, I was more than happy to let her take over.



Kate refused to try a hot dog and spent most of the meal eating hot dog bun, peas, and broccoli. At the very end, she got some mac and cheese on her fork by accident (she'd refused to try it previously) and decided it was pretty good stuff.



Kate had the opportunity to blow out candles on three separate occasions during her birthday week. After a brief demonstration from her daddy, she blew those candles out first try, no problem. She looked more like she was producing a weak whistle attempt than working up a fire-extinguishing gale, but the candles poofed out without even a flicker of resistance.



After dessert (Kate decided ice cream is her favorite), she got to open a couple presents (which she was thrilled with). She ran around the room in a sugar induced mania, her birthday hat perched like a unicorn horn on her head.



The next weekend, we met up with my family at the cabin to celebrate Kate's and Sam's birthdays (Sam turned one a couple days after Kate turned two). A wonderful time was had by all, though Kate decided that the presents were greener on the other side and she wanted what Sam had. Sam was pretty content to play with anything, so it worked out okay this year. 



Kate has become the queen of accessories. She received a couple necklace/bracelet sets from my parents, and she still wears them nearly every day. She'll also add on any spare necklaces of mine she can get her hands on, along with improvised toy-link bangles, watches, hair bows, and sunglasses. She thinks she's pretty hot stuff. Jay asked me the other day, "Where does she get this accessorizing penchant from? Because it certainly didn't come from you." And it's true: I only wear earrings, necklaces, and headbands once or twice a month, and my belt is far more functional than fashionable. Looks like Kate's going to be girly enough for the both of us.



Some thoughts about Kate at age two:
Kate's burgeoning language offers sweet insights into how she views the world. A couple weeks ago after her nap, I opened the door in answer to her psuedo-cries. She brightened as soon as she saw me, and as I picked her up, she said "Baby sad." I thought she meant a baby on our outing that morning, so I asked her about it. She emphatically jabbed her little finger into her sternum and said, "Baby. Baby sad." It makes sense that she views herself as a baby since she labels any child under the age of four "baby" as well, but I didn't realize her self awareness extended that far.


{Playing with a new present}

Kate has spoken in mainly two-word utterances for the past couple months. She often throws in another morpheme (plural or possessive s, an occasional -ing) and sometimes even another word or two. As her vocabulary expands, her utterances become more and more novel, which makes communicating with her more interesting. 


{Sam came over to check out Kate's loot.}

She loves her nursery class at church (after a hot and cold first few months). After we got home a few Sundays ago, I asked her what she did in nursery. "A songs," she said. "You sang songs? What else did you do?" "A snacks. A bubbles." It was the first time she's answered an open-ended question, and since nursery is pretty much the only time I'm away from her, it was sweet that she was able to share that part of her day with me.


{Kate ditches her pile of presents to hijack Sam's new toy}

I'm not sure what's so "magical" about turning two (actually, we just discovered Kate is teething, so that definitely helps explain things), but Kate has started having regular meltdowns, often in response to my suggesting something that she actually wants to do but feels the need to be contrary about because I'm the one who brought it up. Like the other day when we pulled into the garage after a two hour car trip. "Home?" she asked. "Yes," I said. "Should we go inside?" She began whining a string of "no"s that were building up to borderline hysterics, so I quickly said, "It's okay. We can stay in the car." And we just sat there for another couple minutes--tantrum averted--until I asked if she wanted to go inside and find her toys. "House? Toys? Yeah!" she said, and we unloaded.



Her articulation continues to improve, but there are several words she says that sound similar to other words in her lexicon. The other day, she kept saying "jabidge." "Garbage?" I asked. "Drop it?" But she repeated, "jabidge. Jabidge." After a couple more minutes of her persistence, I landed on the answer. "Strawberries?" "Yeah! Jabidge!" she said. So I took her over to the table where she happily ate the strawberries I'd set out for her nearly an hour before. 


{Pyro Uncle Steve. Cake decorated by Aunt Sara}

Jay, being the card-carrying member of the American Dental Association that he is, was determined Kate would be weaned from her pacifier on her second birthday. Kate only used her pacifier for naps and night time, but she loved it. It was part of her routine, and it made me happy to see her happy and comforted by such a simple thing. "You'll have to do it," I told Jay. "I don't think I can bring myself to take it away from her." And the night before her birthday, as he put her to bed, she asked for her comfort objects. "Weopard?" He handed her the little minky leopard she sleeps with. "Bankit?" He covered her up with the blanket I crocheted for her. "Fafier?" "Pacifier is all gone," Jay said. She looked up at him. "Fafier all gone?" "All gone," he repeated firmly. "Night night." "Nigh night," she chirped, and she went to sleep without a fuss. We really haven't had any issues since. She still occasionally asks, "Fafier all gone?" And she seems to accept our affirmative answer without question. I couldn't believe it was so easy.


Jay is still her favorite favorite. We have that in common.



Kate loves story time at the library, singing songs, and reading books. She will sit through stacks upon stacks of them if she can find someone willing to read to her. She loves interacting and playing, but she's also great at entertaining herself.



Kate's stats at two years old:

  • Height: 32.8 inches; 21st percentile
  • Weight: 29 lbs; 78th percentile
  • Head circumference: 49.8 cm; 95th percentile
  • Body Mass Index: 19; 95th percentile



Basically, she's a little tank. Gone are the days of below 10th percentile weight. She loves food, and her smooth little body is strong and sturdy. Happy Birthday, Kate!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, she is so grown-up! Can it really have been that long since we've seen you guys?? I would love for Kate and Ella to play one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is the most wonderful little girl. I'm so proud of the kind of parents you and Jay are. I'm so glad the transition to no pacifier went well. I love reading your speech notes on her development, sure makes me hope we live closer together one day when I have kids. You'll be able to tell me if they're on track.

    Love you all :)

    ReplyDelete