Monday, May 12, 2014

On Motherhood: Conduit

I wrote this over a year ago, and it came to mind on this mother's day evening as the erratic movements of this new woman-child inside me erupt like fireworks across my distended belly.

{2012; photo by Katie}

My daughter has transformed my body into something useful, sustaining. In utero, she stretched and grew, and my body made room for her as she displaced organs and created a conduit for her entrance into the world. Even now, a year later, my body bears her mark: widened hips, thinning hair, puckered stretch marks, loose and dimpled flesh, soft and drooping breasts. 



I no longer have the body of my lean, lithe, 20 year old self. Those days are gone. But I have the body of a mother, a figure shaped by pregnancy and nursing, arms strong from lifting and carrying, a face marked by laughter and tears. It has taken some time, but I love this body more now than I did ten years ago.




I feel God reforming my character sometimes, molding me as deftly as my daughter has--wider here, softer there--fashioning me into something different and beautiful, something useful, a conduit to bring more of Him into the world.


{Taken today, Mother's day 2014}

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was amazing. I love the parallels that you draw with your words. You are such an amazing writer! (I almost typed, 'you write good' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lindsay. Write a book. Goodness :)

    Can't wait to see you this week... I'd say you're overdue for some pregnancy shots with baby #2.

    Love that way He transforms us. Both inside and out.

    ReplyDelete