Monday, August 8, 2016

That One Time We Took Our Kids to NYC, Day 2: Broadway Baby


Saturday morning, we headed to Grand Central Station. It was historical site meets indoor mall meets public transit--sort of like an airport, but prettier and with a grocery store. The vaulted blue ceiling in the main hall, spangled with golden constellations, was spectacular. 



{In the Main Concourse of Grand Central--check out our crew in the bottom right corner}

What I most remember, though, is that Jayne had a diaper blow out and there was no changing table in the men's bathroom, so I had to change her (because of course there was one in the women's restroom). #whyweneedfeminism


Jay bought a block of New York cheddar cheese in the market-like grocery, and Kiyomi took us downstairs to Magnolia Bakery where we ordered a slice of icebox cake and dug in with five forks and no shame. It was probably up there with the richest cakes I've ever had: imagine dense, decadent chocolate cookies layered with thickly whipped cream. Divine.



To say that Kate and Jayne were enthusiastic fans would be a bit of an understatement.



We jetted back to Alex and Kiyomi's to feed the girls lunch and meet up with a babysitter so we could go have some grown up fun. The sitter was late (darn public transit delays), so Kiyomi and I took off first, speed walking our way from tram to subway. Apparently, this pregnant body can still be motivated to move if the enticement is great enough.



We'd wanted to see a Broadway show and decided on Les Mis because, in a twist of fate that turned out to be too good to be true, my very favorite stage actor, John Owen Jones, was playing Jean Valjean. 

When my sister and I studied abroad in London a year before Jay and I got married, we basically went without food so we could see as many half-price West End shows as possible, and our favorite by far was Les Mis because John Owen Jones was knock-your-socks-off, change-your-life amazing. We saw it twice--the second time front row center on Sara's birthday--and it was unreal. Exhibit A:


Kiyomi and I arrived at the theatre about 5 minutes late, so we missed the very beginning of the show. I'll admit that when I saw Valjean was being played by an understudy, I was disappointed. But that only lasted for about ten minutes because I quickly reminded myself that I was watching Les Mis on Broadway for the second time in my life, and how many people can say that? And even though I'm a bit of a Les Mis snob since I've seen it so many times, and even though I thought Valjean was mediocre and Marius was a whiney pretty boy with a pinched voice that was entirely unsuited for the role, Eponine was by far the best I've ever seen. She brought the house down with On My Own--I've never heard such power. The Innkeeper's Wife was also fantastic, as was her smarmy husband, and Enjolras was absolutely phenomenal. Cosette's character is probably my least favorite because she's written so weak and one-dimensional, but the actress playing her had a pure, clear tone with floating high notes. Javert and Fantine were also enjoyable to watch. In the end, it was well worth my time to see those performances alone. The production itself was good, but very different from others I've seen: they did away with the rotating stage, and whole thing was much, much darker than any other rendition. (The version I saw at the Utah Shakespearean Festival a few years ago, by contrast, was hilarious and light in places--this version was moody and had darker themes even though the music and lines were all exactly the same.)

Anyway. Forgive my nerdy rant. 


Jay and Alex made it about ten minutes after we did after the sitter finally arrived. They rode the tram to Manhattan and then decided to take Citi Bikes to Times Square. Even now, I try not to imagine them zipping in and out of busy Times Square traffic.

Once our matinee let out, we returned to the bustle of Times Square. The theater next door was showing sold-out Hamilton, and there was an insane crowd around the side entrance. I heard that they were waiting for Lin Manuel Miranda to come out--he basically has rockstar status now. We paused for a couple pictures on Times Square before Alex and Kiyomi started getting too twitchy--turns out that Times Square is to New Yorkers what the Strip is to Las Vegans: people who actually live there avoid those congested tourist traps at all costs.


Kiyomi and Alex took us to one of their favorite restaurants: Up Thai. It was delicious, and Jay is still raving about the yellow curry he had there that was unlike anywhere else we've tried. It was nice to have some time away from our kids (understatement). After dinner, we half walked, half rolled ourselves to Insomnia Cookies, Kiyomi's favorite. The cookies were insanely rich and gooey. Afterward, we hopped on a bus and headed back home.

{Jay's curry}

We were pretty bushed that night, but Jay and I did make it up to the roof of Alex and Kiyomi's high rise so Jay could capture a panoramic of the skyline.


Ah, NYC.

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing experience for your family! NYC is definitely on my bucket list. And I love how you can see a musical or play many times, but it can still be so different and portrayed in a myriad of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh what a trip! I love that you guys booked this before Andrew arrived. I love that you take my sweet God daughters to wonderful, fun, interesting places. Your photo of GCS gave me a lump in my throat. I used to go there often when I was at Sarah Lawrence and have always loved the painted ceiling. There's just something about it! I'm so glad you could see a show while you were there, I loved your nerdy rant ;) Just think of your next big trip... to Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete