Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Kate Turns Five


Kate had her fifth birthday last month. I can't believe it's already been five years since she joined our family. 


She wanted to celebrate her birthday by playing in the snow, so we went up to the cabin for the weekend. She loved being outside in the frigid temps and happily made snow angels and clambered up snow piles. 


Jay sledded down the hill with Kate, which she liked, and helped her trek back up the hill, which she didn't like as much. 


Jay let Kate pick out her birthday cake mix and frosting at the store: funfetti cake and super-pink frosting with pink sprinkles. 


Everyone cringed at the finished product; the frosting was so lurid that several of us didn't even try a piece (these pictures don't do it justice). Even Kate had just one bite of cake and then ate around the rest of it to finish her ice cream. 

{I have no idea what is up with Jayne's face in this picture. There were three other similar pictures, and she looked the same in all of them, so it's not like I caught her mid-blink.}

The next morning, my brother Steve looked at the barely touched cake still sitting on the counter and said, "Is it just me, or did that thing get pinker overnight?"





Drew got really excited about Kate's presents and wrapping paper.


He scrunched the paper and tried to eat Kate's presents. Typical.


And check out Jayne. I don't think I've ever seen a cuter snow-suited-up kid.


She went sledding with her daddy and loved it. 


Within a five day period, Jayne turned two and a half, Drew turned six months, and Kate turned 5. It was a week of age milestones.


On Kate's actual birthday several days later, we had a very small gathering of some of her friends. 


Event planning gives me hives, so I was hoping to not have to do a friend party for another year or two, but Jay promised her one, so I threw something together. 


It was super casual and chaotic, but Kate seemed to have a great time. Ultimately, it was a pleasure to do something for her because she was so grateful and pleased with everything. 


She said she wanted chocolate cupcakes with yellow frosting. I borrowed a friend's frosting bags/tips and piped some frosting for the first time in my life. It was far from professional, but Kate looked at the finished product and said, "Mom, these look perfect! This is exactly what I wanted!" My party-Grinch heart may have grown three sizes that day.


Drew's double chin is everything.


Happy birthday, dear Kate!

No comments:

Post a Comment